Assault on Marion
About Assault on Marion
The Assault on Marion is a 74.2-mile self-paced ride starting from Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium in downtown Spartanburg, South Carolina and ending at Tom Johnson Rally Park Pavilion at 373 Resistoflex Rd., Marion, NC 28752. The course covers an elevation gain of around 5,400 feet.
The Assault on Marion began in 1994 to allow more cyclists to participate with those riding to Mt. Mitchell. Although it does not include the 28-mile trek to the top of the mountain, this event is as enjoyable and engaging as any around with its rolling hills, multiple climbs, and compelling North Carolina scenery. It is a wonderful challenge for any cyclist, regardless of their skill and experience.
The Assault on Marion will be held on Monday, May 20, 2024.
For more Safety and Training information click here.
- Packet pick-up will take place on Sunday, May 19, 2024, from 1:00pm – 5:00pm at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium. You will be able to drop off a small dry clothes bag during Packet pick-up that will be transported to Mt. Mitchell. On the morning of the ride we will offer packet pick up from 5:30am to 6:00am. Cyclists can also drop a dry clothes bag off at that time until the trucks are locked at about 6:15am.
- Ride Start will be Monday, May 20, 2024, at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium, 385 North Church Street at 6:30am., sharp!
- Route: An interactive cue sheet is available on Ride with GPS.
- Parking: Parking is available in the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium lot.
- Rest Stops: Riders along the route are supported with 4 rest stops that offer food, beverage, first aid kits and toilets. Please reference the Cue Sheet for specific locations.
- SAG & Tech Support: SAG and Tech volunteers are available along the route to provide assistance for riders. Not all volunteers have experience with bike repair but will work to get you assistance. Vehicles typically carry a cell phone, tubes, air and minor first aid kits. There will be bike techs along the route, but they may not be stationed where you break down and are not guaranteed to have the exact items you may need. If you need special chains, tubes etc. be sure to carry them with you. Cell phone service may be sporadic in areas. Please come prepared.
- Post Ride: Upon finishing, riders will have access to food and beverage and changing stations. Buses will transport riders off the Mountain to the Tom Johnson Campground to enjoy post-ride festivities and further final destination transport options.
- Refunds: We cannot offer refunds or credit a registration fee towards next year’s event, no exceptions. However, it is possible for registrants to transfer a number to someone else, see below. There will be absolutely no refunds or transfers on accouterment items such as bus tickets or extra meal tickets.
- Transfer policy: Transfers are allowed until Monday, May 13, 2024 at 5:00pm EST. The registered rider sells their spot directly to the new rider. Once completed contact Jenn Chew, with details. A $40 transfer fee is charged to the new rider as they get registered.
- Online registration closes Monday, May 13 at 5 PM EST In-person registration is available at packet pick up on Sunday, May 19 from 1:00pm to 5:00pm EST.
- Problems or Questions? Please contact Jenn Chew, Director of The Assaults:
- Rest Stop 4 / Tom Johnson Campground: 373 Resistoflex Rd., Marion, NC 28752
Rider/Bicycle Transportation for Marion Riders
- Option 1 (Free): Family member or friend picks you up from Tom Johnson Campground after the ride (Marion, NC)
- Bikes can be loaded into your personal car or family member’s car who is picking you up when you finish the ride in Marion.
- Option 2 ($40): Monday regular bus – After enjoying lunch, you will board a bus to the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium.
- Your bike will be put on a separate truck and transported to the auditorium. No exceptions.
*Important to note: No refunds will be issued for any bus tickets. Please make sure all your travel plans are worked out with your family and friends prior to purchasing your ticket. You may purchase bus tickets any time during or after you register.
** Please note that this is a long day with many moving parts. Please plan with a little wiggle room.